Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jeremiah and car doors

I shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. I was in a parking lot between a proverbial rock and hard place. To be exact, my finger was situated all too snugly between the car door and the frame of the car. We have been using a rental car this weekend that does not have an automatic lock, so each door must be locked separately. Somehow, while locking up the car, I miscalculated the time that it would take for the door to close compared with the time it would take to move my finger from the door frame. So there I was, with finger in a locked door, and no way of escape.

I quickly looked around to see if anyone could lend a hand. The car next to mine had three people gathered around it talking about their vehicle. I gave a pleading gaze their direction and entreated them to lend a hand. One of them (I take to be the car dealer) looked up, gave me a disapproving glare, and then quickly shifted his glance back to the car he was so intent on.

I was quite stuck. I had no way to open the door because of the security of the bolt, I couldn't reach through the opposite door, because I couldn't maneuver myself around with a finger caught in the door, and I couldn't simply press a key to open the lock. I tried pulling and wiggling my finger out, but it wouldn't budge. There was nothing else to do. Then it struck me! I needed to pray.

I have been reading Jeremiah in my devotions recently. Judah was in terrible straits. They had been in the grasp of the Devil for centuries, and they were about to be taken into captivity. God was pleading through Jeremiah for Judah to return their loyalty to God, to leave their dangerous courting with evil, and turn back to God. He promised that if they but showed a desire for God He would "deliver you from the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem you from the grip of the terrible (Jer. 15:21)."

I was not "flirting with the evil" car door, but I certainly felt like I was in "the grip of the terrible" when I cried out to God. I mustered up all my strength and with a mighty pull, I wrenched my finger away from the abominable door.

Though it was a relatively small thing for God to do for me, I was reminded that God can save us when we cry to Him, whether it be something like saving us from cars, or saving us from eternal death. We must never forget to call out to Him in our every need. His promises will always hold true.



3 comments:

Christen said...

Ouch! I'm glad you're OK.

Great application!

Jonas said...

OW! That sounds extraordinarily painful. As usual, you drew an excellent lesson.

I can't imagine why the car dealer wouldn't help... did he grasp the situation?

Kristin said...

Oh Martina! That's awful :( I'm glad you were able to get unstuck, even if it was rather painful. Thank you for sharing the lesson.