Thursday, September 11, 2008

Farf



My Fathers father (or Farf, for short), has been such a blessing to me.
Over the past ninety years he has gathered much experience and wisdom.  I love to hear him as he speaks about his childhood in Denmark, the years of hardship during World War II, the emigration to America, or his mission experiences in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  There are so many miracle stories of how God led them.  His stories are always intriguing, and make me want to sit listening to him for hours!

Friday nights with Farf and Farmor have always been a joy to me.  Farf would sit at the piano and play the Danish hymns flawlessly by memory. The rest of us would sing along, wanting to sing our best for the Lord.  His music always makes me think of what it will be like in heaven.



Farf is so loving towards his wife, children and grandchildren.  I love watching my Farf gently tease my grandmother, and her blush, like they are in the young stages of romance.  He always refers to her as "my sweetheart".  You can tell that they are still very in love after 60 years of being married.  



I could write so much about Farfar, but the one thing that immediately comes to my mind that underlies everything that Farf does, is his love toward God. He always has something to say about what God did for him that week, or what he studied in the Bible.  You can tell that Farf has chosen Who he will follow, and as a result, he has become more like Jesus every day.  


Thank you Farf, for being such an awesome role model for us, and showing us how to be more like Jesus.

1 comment:

Christen said...

Very well-written. Man, I wish I had a grandpa like that. You should write a book with all of his stories. I love those kinds of stories, and they really shouldn't be lost. Well, take care.